[llvm-dev] RFC: Revisiting LLD-as-a-library design

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 11 03:56:23 PDT 2021

One of the earliest discussions about the LLD as a library design, at least after it had matured enough to be practical was this rather long thread https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-December/107981.html

I don’t have any objections about making LLD more useable as a library.

What I would say is that we should come up with a good idea of what the functionality needed from the library is. For example I can see one use case with a relatively coarse interface that is similar to running LLD from the command line, with object files passed in memory buffers. I can see that working as an extension of the existing design. A more ambitious use case would permit more fine grain control of the pipeline, or construct LLD data structures directly rather than using object files could require quite a bit more work. I think people are thinking along the lines of the former, but it is worth making sure.

I think one of the reasons the library use case faltered was that there was no-one with a use case that was able to spend enough time to make it happen. The existing maintainers had enough work to do to catch up with Gold and BFD. Do we have someone willing to do the work?

Peter