[llvm-dev] RFC: Revisiting LLD-as-a-library design

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 10 15:28:34 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:16 PM Tom Stellard via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 6/10/21 11:14 AM, Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Long ago, the LLD project contributors decided that they weren't going
> to design LLD as a library, which stands in opposition to the way that the
> rest of LLVM strives to be a reusable library. Part of the reasoning was
> that, at the time, LLD wasn't done yet, and the top priority was to finish
> making LLD a fast, useful, usable product. If sacrificing reusability
> helped LLD achieve its project goals, the contributors at the time felt
> that was the right tradeoff, and that carried the day.
> >

> I think it would be great to move in this directions.  It's a little bit
> unclear
> at the moment whether or not the library use case is supported, because we
> do include headers and libraries in the install targets.
>
> As a package maintainer my wish list for an LLD library is:
>
> 1. Single shared object: https://reviews.llvm.org/D85278
> 2. All symbols are assumed private unless explicitly given library
> visibility.

Is this ^ consistent with how other parts of LLVM are handled? My
understanding was generally LLVM's API is wide/unbounded and not stable.
I'd hesitate to restrict future libraries in some way due to some benefits
that provides - ease of refactoring (LLVM's ability to be changed
frequently is very valuable).

> 3. Some subset of the API that is stable across major releases.

A limited stable C API seems plausible to me, if there's need.

- Dave