[llvm-dev] [DWARF] using simplified template names

Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 7 16:29:08 PDT 2021

> On Jun 4, 2021, at 6:33 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> tl;dr: What if we used only the base name of templates in the DW_AT_name field for function and class templates (eg: "vector" instead of "vector<int, std::allocator<int>>")?
>
> Context:
> We (at Google) have been seeing some significant DWARF growth in binaries lately due to increased use of libraries like Eigen and TensorFlow that use expression templates.
>
> This includes some cases where the debug_str.dwo section has exceeded the DWARF32 limit (& the binutils dwp tool silently wrote overflowed indexes into the debug_str_offsets.dwo section, unfortunately - leading to corrupted/garbled names in backtraces) & most of the growth is from the demangled names of complicated/large expression templates.

> One solution would be to move to DWARF64 - though that does make DWARF overall larger, which is an unfortunate cost that would be nice to avoid.
>
> Another might be to rely solely on linkage names (add linkage names to types), since mangled names generally reduce a lot of the duplication - though in some cases it's not a matter of duplication within a single name, but possibly many distinct types used as template parameters - though those types may also be used in other names (& mangled names have no sharing across names).

Without having measured this, I find it plausible to believe that the DWARF DIE tree together with base names can be more compact than linkage names (=mangled type names) on every DIE because of the sharing within more complex types.

> [...]
>   p2 = &v2;
> }
>
> // using a clang modified to produce simple template names, and
> // to include template parameters on declarations
> // (-Xclang -debug-forward-template-params)
> $ clang++ a.cpp b.cpp -g
> $ llvm-dwarfdump a.out (glossing over some details)
> DW_TAG_compile_unit
>   DW_AT_name    ("a.cpp")
>   DW_TAG_structure_type
>     DW_AT_name  ("t1")
>     DW_TAG_template_type_parameter
>       DW_AT_type        (0x00000098 "int")
>       DW_AT_name        ("T")
>     DW_TAG_member
>       DW_AT_name        ("t")
>       DW_AT_type        (0x00000098 "int")
>   DW_TAG_structure_type
>     DW_AT_name  ("t1")
>     DW_AT_declaration   (true)
>     DW_TAG_template_type_parameter
>       DW_AT_type        (0x000000e2 "short")
>       DW_AT_name        ("T")
>   DW_TAG_structure_type
>     DW_AT_name  ("t1")
>     DW_AT_declaration   (true)
>     DW_TAG_template_type_parameter
>       DW_AT_type        (0x000000fd "bool")
>       DW_AT_name        ("T")
>
> DW_TAG_compile_unit
>   DW_AT_name    ("b.cpp")
>   DW_TAG_structure_type
>     DW_AT_name  ("t1")
>     DW_TAG_template_type_parameter
>       DW_AT_type        (0x0000019e "short")
>       DW_AT_name        ("T")
>     DW_TAG_member
>       DW_AT_name        ("t")
>       DW_AT_type        (0x0000019e "short")
>   DW_TAG_structure_type
>     DW_AT_name  ("t1")
>     DW_AT_declaration   (true)
>     DW_TAG_template_type_parameter
>       DW_AT_type        (0x000001b9 "int")
>       DW_AT_name        ("T")
> $ gdb ./a.out
> (gdb) start
> (gdb) ptype v1
> type = struct t1<int> [with T = int] {
>     T t;
> }
> (gdb) ptype v2
> type = struct t1<short> [with T = short] {
>     T t;
> } *
> (gdb) ptype v3
> type = struct t1<bool> {
>     <incomplete type>
> } *
> (gdb) ptype v1.t
> type = int
> (gdb) ptype v2->t
> type = short
> (gdb) ptype v3->t
> There is no member named t.

> GDB has correctly rendered the type names, despite lacking the template parameter lists being in the DW_AT_name - and has correctly associated the definitions with the declarations despite the DW_AT_name being ambiguous, by using the DW_TAG_template_type_parameters.
>
> lldb doesn't cope with this sort of DWARF currently - it has a bunch of assumptions about the names of template instantiations that'll need to be fixed before it can consume this sort of thing.

I'm pretty this will break at least some workflows in LLDB, but perhaps not necessarily the most useful ones. LLDB will search types by name in many situations, but the fact that template types can be formatted in many different ways and may contain whitespace makes this process brittle already. In order to support currently supported workflows we may need to implement a type lookup where we stri out everything but the basename in the searched type, then do a by-(base)name lookup, and then filter for template arguments. From afar this sounds doable, but we should make sure not to enable this debug info optimization without qualifying it in LLDB first.

-- adrian