[llvm-dev] Bazel pre-merge checks

Geoffrey Martin-Noble via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 29 10:26:21 PDT 2021

If you don't care about building LLVM with Bazel, you can stop reading now.

We have set up pre-merge checks for the Bazel build of LLVM (see the README
at https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/main/utils/bazel if you
weren't following past updates). These will trigger on changes to the
utils/bazel directory. Additionally, you can join the bazel build phab
project <https://reviews.llvm.org/project/members/107/> to have it trigger
on all of your patches.

The builds run on a separate pool of agents, so they don't interfere with
the main pre-merge builds. Results should generally be reported back in
about 5 minutes and the build is the same one being run on every commit to
the main branch <https://buildkite.com/llvm-project/upstream-bazel-rbe>, so
is usually green at HEAD. They are also set with `-Werror -Wall` (plus or
minus
<https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/09529892b5/utils/bazel/.bazelrc#L31-L44>)
and so can give fast feedback on diagnostics.

In the future, we are likely to use the Bazel project to send emails on
post-merge failures to commit authors, filtered to those who are opted in.

If you find this useful, feel free to contribute to maintaining the Bazel
build by monitoring the status (e.g. you can star the main branch and get
emails from Buildkite when it goes red).

Best,
Geoffrey