[llvm-dev] Call for testing -- new variable location tracking solution

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 29 08:18:31 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 6:58 AM <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:

> > (I think subprograms can
> > acquire abstract origins after they're dwarf-emitted?).
>
> I'd hope not...  The out-of-line instance and all inlined instances
> should be pointing to the same abstract origin.  If the out-of-line
> instance gets emitted first, *maybe* what you suggest can happen,
> because we haven't yet noticed there are inline instances?

Yeah, if we're talking order of construction, that can certainly happen -
when the concrete subprogram is created we don't know if it'll need an
abstract definition or not (because we don't know if there are any inlined
instances yet) - so we delay filling out the attributes that would go on
the abstract definition, wait until the end and then either fill them out
on the concrete subprogram, or, if we've encountered/created an abstract
definition by that point, emit the DW_AT_abstract_origin on the concrete
definition instead.