[llvm-dev] MCAsmParser end-of-function API

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 20 06:15:42 PDT 2021

Fangrui Song <maskray at google.com> writes:

> But may I ask why you need to emit something in (MC)AsmParser?
> AsmPrinter appears to be the more appropriate place.

I am just learning the MC layer so perhaps I am indeed looking in the
wrong place.

I am thinking about the operation of llvm-mc, assembling a .s file into
an object file.  So I guess the ELF/Object streamer is the right place
to emit something, but it's not clear to me how it gets told we're at a
function end.

> (Most targets only need to emit alignment at function start,
> so they don't need to care about padding at function end.)

Yeah, there are a lot of assumptions in the MC layer that don't
necessarily hold for the target I'm working on.  :) I've been able to
work around most of them but the "pure assembler" flow is one I haven't
figured out yet.

Thanks for your help!

                      -David