[llvm-dev] Regarding fuzzing llvm-ir passes

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 19 13:31:21 PDT 2021

A bit of prior work to be aware of:

There's something running under OSSFuzz already.  I'm not super clear on
what this is, how it works operationally, but definitely something to be
aware of.

llvm-stress is an in tree tool for generating random IR.  Not sure this
has been actively maintained at all though.

If you're going to use a coverage guided fuzzer, you want to give some
thought to your corpus choice.  Will your corpus be IR? Bitcode?  A
random seed for llvm-stress?  A random buffer replacing llvm-stress'
RNG?  Each has tradeoffs and will exercise different parts of the
infrastructure.

It's also worth commenting that bugpoint's reduction strategy tends to
be a very effective mutation fuzzer in practice.

Personally, I'd approach it with something like the following:

  * Start with a corpus of random seeds to llvm-stress + a pass
    identifier.  Should be easy to stand up and run with any fuzz
    driver, make sure it works and fix the obvious problems to get a
    reasonable fuzz rate.
  * Then extend your llvm-stress seed corpus into a random buffer
    corpus.  Extract llvm-stress into a library which consumes a string
    of random bytes.  Have the first byte of the buffer map to pass
    under test and the rest of an llvm-stress input.
  * Once that was running successfully - extend it.  There's lots of
    room to improve llvm-stress' generator.
  * Another extension would be to add in mutation transforms after
    generation but before pass of interest.  (Extracting out
    bugpoint/llvm-bisect transforms to use for the mutation would work
    pretty well.)  Basically, you extend your input buffer to allow a
    set of transform identifies following the buffer passed to llvm-stress.

The preceding is not super well thought out, just what occurred to me in
the moment.

Philip