[llvm-dev] Clang-12 fails build on MacOS

Steven Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 16 13:36:06 PDT 2021

The error is basically:
:info:build CMake Error: failed to create symbolic link '/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_llvm-12/clang-12/work/build/projects/compiler-rt/lib/builtins/outline_atomic_helpers.dir/outline_atomic_ldadd2_1.S': file already exists

Looks like this is caused by https://reviews.llvm.org/D93178 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D93178>. It seems that when you build multiple arm64 slice (in this case, arm64 and arm64e), the LSE builtin will be generated twice. In the rare case that when two same `cmake -E create_symlink` running at the same time, you get that error. Before the change, it was compiling using clang so you don't get this weird race condition.

You can probably workaround by manually set `DARWIN_osx_BUILTIN_ARCHS` to remove `arm64e` since you don't really need that. At the meantime, can you file a bug report to bugs.llvm.org <http://bugs.llvm.org/>?

Steven