[llvm-dev] RFC: Sanitizer-based Heap Profiler

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 13 11:12:46 PDT 2021

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 6:40 PM Wenlei He <wenlei at fb.com> wrote:

> This is a big undertaking with good potential but also some uncertainty on
> how effective such optimizations are for larger workloads, so really
> appreciate the pioneering effort in LLVM.
>

> We (facebook) are very interested in this too. I've reached out to David
> and Teresa a while ago about this, and was going to wait for the RFC before
> having more detailed discussions. But now that we're discussing it, here’s
> my two cents about the responsibility division between compiler and
> allocator, and the API.
>

> I think it'd be beneficial if we let compiler do more heavy lighting
> instead of relying heavily on allocator. If we rely on less magic inside an
> allocator, we will likely benefit more users who may use different
> allocators. Otherwise there's a risk that the compiler part may be too
> coupled with a specific allocator, which limits the overall effectiveness
> of PGHO outside of that allocator.

I agree with this in general.  At a  high level, there are multiple
different types of locality optimizations each requiring different
treatment for the peak performance:

1) Locality policies fully enforced by the compiler. Examples include
co-allocation of different types of small sized objects with the same
lifetime (which is statically determinable).
2) Locality policies determined by the compiler but provided as hints to
the allocator(s).   Examples include coarse grain locality optimizations as
well as co-allocations for objects whose lifetime can not be proved to be
identical statically.  The allocator provides APIs to pass the hints, but
can choose to ignore them.  Due to the freelists and fragmentation, there
is no guarantee two small objects in the same locality group (compiler
hint) will be allocated in the same cacheline.
3) A hybrid of those -- there are some compiler transformations needed but
also relying on collaboration from the allocator. An example is struct
splitting.  Blindly splitting the struct without hint to the runtime won't
prevent the cold parts from polluting the cache.

> This also affects what we want to expose in the new API for hinting the
> allocator (e.g. provide grouping or arena-like hint computed by compiler
> vs. passing a number of factors through the API which would help compute
> that inside allocator). With a general, stable API, hope we won't need to
> change API when we want to take more runtime info (temporal etc., even just
> for experiments) into account, or when we improve and leverage more from
> compiler analysis (I agree that in the long run we should improve compiler
> analysis).

Agree.

> I've talked with jemalloc folks on our side, and we're flexible to API
> changes. In this case, it makes sense to avoid abstraction overhead from
> wrappers.

yes. A mature allocator is tuned for years to reduce the allocation
overhead as well as minimizing the memory fragmentation. Duplicating those
in the wrappers can be a huge task -- except for special cases.

thanks,

David