[llvm-dev] [EXTERNAL] Marking a particular virtual register (or live interval) as unspillable

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 9 12:25:33 PDT 2021

Hi James,

> On Jul 9, 2021, at 11:51 AM, Nagurne, James <j-nagurne at ti.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the response, Quentin.
>

> I'm aware of markNotSpillable, but it looks like the only use of that function is for the aforementioned unspillable terminators and for very particular live ranges in ‘generic’ code. Are you suggesting that there’s a way to modify the LiveIntervals analysis before the allocator/spiller uses them?

Yes, you can run your own machine pass and set this “flag” yourself. Just make sure you do it in the middle of where LiveIntervals are set and preserved (e.g., right before the register coalescer.)

> I was under the assumption that the LiveInterval information was calculated immediately preceding the allocator, and that the target couldn’t easily influence that.

No, you can actually modify the LiveIntervals essentially between right before register coalescer and right after register allocation (i.e., that includes before and after the scheduler).

> “From what you’re describing, it feels to me that the bug is in the block placement since it’s moving the store above the intended definition and that marking the LI not spillable is just a workaround.”
>
> It’s not so much moving the store as it is removing the terminators and then replacing them at the end of the block, which is where terminators are required to exist. It just so happens that the initiate has a gap which contains a dependent instruction that gets re-ordered on the call to insertBranch.
>
> For background: the pair of instructions models branch delay slots, a branch and its associated discontinuity which occurs on a different cycle. By separating the branch instruction and the actual discontinuity into separate instructions, it becomes possible to use an instruction scheduler to fill the delay slots, rather than using a separate pre-emit pass that Lanai, Mips, and Sparc uses.
>
> With that said, I believe block placement is certainly doing something that should be 'ok' with regards to the IR semantics. Specifically, the pass uses the target’s removeBranch and insertBranch implementations, which should be guaranteed not to affect the execution behavior of a block. Our target has a further requirement that no instruction can exist between the initiate and the actual discontinuity for insertBranch to ensure that the program has not changed. The spill being created breaks that rule, and so removeBranch/insertBranch do not work as desired.
>
> So it looks like the way forward might be:
> - Find a way to mark the live interval from the branch register def as unspillable
> - Attempt to mimic how Sparc/Lanai/Mips fills delay slots

Mimicking what the other targets are doing is probably your safest bet since it has been extensively tested and thus is supported.
One thing you could try as well is create a bundle with the initiate branch and actual branch so that it is impossible to insert anything between the two instructions. Using bundles may be tricky though.

Cheers,
-Quentin