[llvm-dev] RFC: Sanitizer-based Heap Profiler

Andrey Bokhanko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 8 08:06:26 PDT 2021

Hi David,

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 7:25 AM Xinliang David Li <xinliangli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > We initially plan to use the profile information to provide guidance to the dynamic allocation runtime on data allocation and placement. We'll send more details on that when it is fleshed out too.
>>
>> Just to double check: do you plan to open-source this runtime? --
>

> It will be in tcmalloc initially.
>

>> perhaps as a part of LLVM?
>

> A wrapper runtime layer in LLVM is possible, but not initially.

I wonder how you plan to deliver guidance on what allocations should
be made from the same memory chunk to tcmalloc -- unless you plan to
read data profile directly from the runtime (I doubt so...) this
should be done via some kind of instrumentation done by a compiler /
binary optimizer (a la BOLT) -- right?

Yours,
Andrey