[llvm-dev] Python version requirement

Julian Lettner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 29 16:15:00 PST 2021

> On Jan 29, 2021, at 3:18 PM, Stella Laurenzo via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I think we should enforce a minimum version and that should not be less than 3.6. <3.6 is eol, and bug fixes for 3.6 will continue through 2021. Obviously, we should make sure that bots are upgraded of course, I would think...

This makes sense to me.

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 12:28 PM Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
> It was actually pointed out to me that the linked page just says “known to work”, not “minimum required”, so now I’m very confused as to what to do. I think two reasonable ways ahead are to just roll with it and require 3.6, or to revert the recent patches that require it and to find the lowest version that works with the resulting code. Thoughts?

Pasting the used language in the docs to aid the discussion.

Getting Started with the LLVM System —> Requirements —> Software
https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#software <https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#software>

Compiling LLVM requires that you have several software packages installed. The
table below lists those required packages. The Package column is the usual name
for the software package that LLVM depends on. The Version column provides
“known to work” versions of the package. The Notes column describes how LLVM
uses the package and provides other details.

So the packages themselves are required, but the exact versions are “known to work”.  Previously, I didn’t read the text carefully enough and misrepresented its meaning (causing the trouble that triggered this thread).  I am voting for removing the “known to work” phrase from the docs since I don’t think the distinction between package and versioned-package is useful.

Note that we already have a precedent for requiring the stated version with CMake.  Most CMakeLists.txt start with `cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.13.4)`.

As for the exact version (3.5 or 3.6) I have no strong preference, so I would follow Stella’s recommendation.