[llvm-dev] Python version requirement

Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 29 12:17:58 PST 2021

                I just pushed a patch that uses CMake to actually enforce the minimum version of Python 3.6. (https://reviews.llvm.org/D95635) On https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#software, we document that Python 3.6 is the minimum version of python that is required for LLVM, and some patches have gone in to use Python 3.6 features. As of a few days ago, if you try to run the test suite without python 3.6 or greater, you will get a syntax error in the test suite python code. However, I had to revert my patch because some of the build bots don't actually have Python 3.6. Specifically, I got a failure in the fuchsia-x86_64-linux bot that has Python 3.5.3. I have no way of knowing if any other infrastructure has this issue. (unless they email me to complain)

                I think that Ideally we want CMake to enforce the version minimum, but we can't do that until the build bots are all updated. I wanted to raise awareness of this issue so that hopefully we can get this sorted out soon.

Thanks,
                Christopher Tetreault