[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introduce the `!nocapture` metadata and "nocapture_use" operand bundle

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 28 21:28:58 PST 2021

On 1/28/21 5:28 PM, Artur Pilipenko wrote:
> We talked about this RFC at the AA call briefly. We talked about the
> possibility for CaptureTracking to provide
> the information about the aliases in addition to capture/nocapture
> facts. Johannes is going to see whether this
> can be leveraged for this proposal.

I did discuss the "new" or "extended" encoding below.

> A couple of responses inline. Hope this mail client does a better job
> with quotation.

Quotation works for me now, thanks a lot.

> [...]
>>>
>>> We would happily replace v2 with v1 even though the memory was
>>> clobbered by the store through a’.
>>> Right. But that is not strictly speaking a problem. You can build
>>> things with the annotation
>>> that are nonsensical, though, that is nothing new. Especially if you
>>> employ the annotations
>>> alone you might not find a good use case,
>>> seehttps://reviews.llvm.org/D93189#2485826  .
>>> My concern here is that we miscompile a program which is seemingly
>>> correct. None of the users
>>> of pointer a escape the pointer. So, I assume it should be correct to
>>> mark the store as !nocapture.
>>>
>>> It looks like you assume a more restrictive definition for
>>> !nocapture. The proposed lang ref says:
>>> "``!nocapture`` metadata on the instruction tells the optimizer that
>>> the pointer
>>> stored is not captured in the sense that all uses of the pointer are
>>> explicitly
>>> marked otherwise”
>>>
>>> a) What do you mean by "uses of the pointer” here? Is it uses of the
>>> pointer value stored by the
>>> Annotated instruction? Is it uses of the memory modified by the store?
>>>
>>> It is uses of the stored pointer. So if you never load the pointer
>>> from the location
>>> you stored it using `!nocapture`, there are no uses and "all uses"
>>> are explicitly
>>> marked. If you do load it, you should make sure the use is
>>> "explicitly marked otherwise"
>>> because you do not get a "dependence edge" from the `store %a %ptr
>>> !nocapture` to `%a' = load %ptr`.
>>> In your example, that explicit use is missing. So you load `ptr` but
>>> that instruction is
>>> not annotated with an explicit use of `a`. Now, this could actually
>>> be OK, depending on the use,
>>> but unlikely what you want.
>>>
>>> If we would have operand bundles on loads you could do: `%a' = load
>>> %ptr ["nocapture_use"(%a)]`,
>>> which would correspond to the intended use `call @f(%ptr)
>>> ["nocapture_use"(%a)]`. That way you would
>>> be able to communicate `%a` through memory (here `%ptr`) without
>>> causing it to be captured.
>>> (This assumes you ensured `%a'` is not captured.)
>>>
>>> I think we could require `!nocapture` to be used with "nocapture_use"
>>> but I resisted so far
>>> as it would be more complex.
>>> On the other hand, it would make it clear that usage of only one of
>>> them is, so far,
>>> discouraged since it can easily lead to unexpected results.
>>> So, basically every use of the value loaded from memory which was
>>> previously stored to as !nocapture
>>> needs to have an annotation indicating that this is an alias of the
>>> original pointer.
>>> Not necessarily an alias but a use of the original pointer. More below.
>>> In general case we might have a pointer which is not the original
>>> pointer but an alias for it.
>>>
>>> E.g. a select between the original pointer and some other value:
>>> s = select c, a', some other ptr
>>> v1 = load s
>>>
>>> Or a derived pointer based off the original pointer:
>>> a = new ...
>>> store a, ptr, !nocapture
>>> a' = load ptr
>>> gep = gep a', offset
>>> v1 = load get
>>> Do we need to annotate things like geps/bitcasts?
>>>
>>> What if the use is a phi or a select?
>>> a = new ...
>>> store a, ptr, !nocapture
>>> a' = load ptr
>>> s = select c, a', some other ptr ; do we annotate the select?
> [...]
>> memory it was stored in.
>> In that case, we want to capture the "noescape" property we know from
>> domain knowledge.
>>

>>> How far can we get with an approach which is conservatively correct
>>> without explicit `"nocapture_use”`
>>> annotations?
>>>
>>> Currently there are 2 places where BasicAA uses
>>> isNonEscapingLocalObject:
>>> * Aliasing between isNonEscapingLocalObject and isEscapeSource
>>> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/llvm/lib/Analysis/BasicAliasAnalysis.cpp#L1563
>>>
>>> * ModRef for a isNonEscapingLocalObject and a call
>>> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/llvm/lib/Analysis/BasicAliasAnalysis.cpp#L839
>>>

>>> If we were to support nocapture stores without explicit
>>> `"nocapture_use”` annotations we would need to
>>> differentiate between isNonEscapingLocalObject with
>>> StoreCaptures==true and StoreCaptures==false.
>>> These are two different properties and we would need to handle them
>>> separately.
>>>
>>> For the aliasing between isNonEscapingLocalObject and isEscapeSource
>>> we would need to change
>>> isEscapeSource for isNonEscapingLocalObject(StoreCaptures==false)
>>> case. Specifically, if StoreCaptures==false
>>> then isEscapeSource should not consider loads as escape sources.
>>>
>>> For the ModRef query around calls it's more compilcated. The easiest
>>> thing to do here is to not use
>>> isNonEscapingLocalObject(StoreCaptures==false). I don't know if this
>>> is too limiting for your example.
>>> But we can come up with some analysis here as well. What we need to
>>> know is the fact that a call doesn’t
>>> capture pointers reachable through its arguments. This would require
>>> a new argument attribute, something
>>> like nocapture_content.
>> I don't follow what this means. The way I understand this it seems
>> more complicated and brittle
>> than my proposal. What I suggested should work if you outline part of
>> the code, introduce int2ptr
>> + ptr2int pairs in between the stores and use of the stored memory,
>> etc. I am always worried that
>> "implicit" schemes will break as soon as uses get disturbed and are
>> hard to track afterwards. That
>> is why I mark  things explicitly:
>>    The store would cause the `nocapture` property to be removed so we
>> say `!nocapture`.
>>    This break the implicit dependence on the memory use calls which we
>> need to make explicit.
> Indeed. A conservatively correct analysis will be more brittle in terms
> of optimization potential.
> On the other hand the benefit of this approach is it simplifies the
> annotations we need to provide.
> E.g. the current proposal requires the IR to be is a specific shape with
> store load forwarding done
> for nocapture stored pointers.
>
> In general, this is the design space we have: how much do we rely on
> explicit annotations vs how
> much do we derive what we need from the code?

Right. Given the capture tracker usage I expect any kind of
analysis at that point would be too costly. It could be opt-in
arguably, but an explicit representation approach which we then
only have to interpret (=cheap) is more suited for my domain
knowledge use case and works with the tracking analysis as well.

>>> My next comment is only somewhat related to `"nocapture_use”` issue.
>>> Your current proposal marks stores
>>> as `!nocapture`. But I assume that the store can be marked as
>>> nocapture because the underlying object is
>>> unescaped. Why don't we mark this fact instead? If we have this fact
>>> then any store to an unescaped memory
>>> can be treated as nocapture (assuming we are doing conservatively
>>> correct analysis for StoreCaptures==false).
>>> This will give us a useful fact about the underlying object as well
>>> (it can be used for things other than aliasing).
>>>
>>> There is a caveat to this suggestion. The proposed `!nocapture`
>>> metadata makes it possible to express
>>> flow-sensitive facts (a store into the same underlying object might
>>> be nocapture on one path, but capture on some
>>> other). We would give up this flow-sensitivity if we make the
>>> underlying object instead. On the other hand, global
>>> property instead of a flow-sensitive propery will make it easier for
>>> a conservatively correct analysis.
>>>
>> I'll try to capture some thoughts about your proposals:
>>
>> 1) Having `nocapture_memory` on the declaration of storage to indicate
>> store into it won't escape.
>>
>> We could look to the pointer operand at the store side to find the
>> attribute, which is doable I guess.
>> We give up on field-sensitivity. We need a declaration to anchor the
>> attribute at, which inherently
>> comes with a scope. Inlining will become an issue then as the scope is
>> expanded; ref all the
>> `noalias.scope` intrinsic stuff we need to do to keep `noalias` scopes
>> alive.
>>
>> 2) Having `nocaptue_content` on the usage of a pointer in a call.
>>
>> We give up on field-sensitivity again. This would not help you in the
>> non-call situations. We would
>> need to look from to store to all uses of the pointer stored into
>> every time we ask ourselves if the
>> memory escaped. This seems doable, albeit more involved for each query
>> and can be disturbed.
>>
>> I think I could live with both approaches for the runtime library
>> case, some deduction cases will also
>> work. I am doubtful it is better though.
> My main argument here - these are useful primitives even outside of the
> scope of this RFC.
>
> There are users of PointerMayBeCaptured outside of AA, e.g. LICM. These
> users will benefit from
> nocapture_memory even if we don't use this fact for AA.
>
> nocaptue_content for call arguments would be useful if we were to
> implement a more sophisticated
> capture tracking analysis.
>
> BTW, in your motivational example, can the memory passed through
> indirection be marked as globally
> nocaptured as well?
>
> Here is what I mean:
>     arg_storage = call new, !nocapture_memory
>     obj = call new, !nocapture_memory <-- is this object also never captured?
>     arg_storage.obj = obj
>     foo(arg_storage)

Yes, above `obj` is the pointer that is not captured by foo in my
motivating example.
We can express that `arg_storage` is not captured with the argument
attribute. The
problem I'm trying to solve is to ensure that `obj` is not assumed
captured (by the
store or call) but at the same time the call retains its modref
relationship with
`obj`. If we use `!nocapture` on the store alone, we don't see that
`foo` accesses
`obj` anymore. That is why the `"nocapture_use"` exists. The
alternatives we discussed:

Allow the user of the NoCaptureTracker to ignore `!nocapture` stores
under the condition
the user follows the llvm::uses() of the storage the pointer ended up
in. This would
replace the function of the "nocapture_use" set and work for non-call
uses as well. The
drawback is that you now perform the capture analysis every time you
query, so we are
not manifesting but recomputing a lot.

We could point from the store to the potential aliases of the pointer
that is stored.
This is a similar idea as above but less burden is on the user of the
NoCaptureTracker
now. This would match the "nocapture_maybe_returned" attribute the
Attributor uses
internally in its NoCaptureTracker class [0]. The problem with this is
my initial use
case actually. There is no "alias" in the function to tag if the storage
is passed to
another function. Still, this would make sense for the store + load case
and the "maybe
returned argument" case. So if we go with my initial proposal + this, we
would get 3
things out of it. Recap: `!nocapture` on a store with operands that
point to potential
reloads and "nocapture_use" operand bundle for calls.

```
store %ptr, %storage, !nocapture(%l0, %l1)
%l0 = load (%cond ? %storage : %_)
call @f(%l0)
call @g(%storage) ["nocapture_use"(%ptr)]
%q = call @h(nocapture_maybe_returned %ptr)
%l1 = load %storage

```
The NoCaptureTracker keeps a potential alias set as the Attributor does
[0]. After
analyzing the use the store, %ptr is *not* assumed captured, %l0 and %l1
are added
to the potential alias set. %q is added to the set when the use in the
@h call is
analyzed. The use in the "nocapture_use" operand bundle is not capturing.

WDYT? (Assuming we go with this approach, I'd still split it so my
initial patch
can go first and an extension of `!nocapture` to take operands can come
second,
together with the NoCaptureTracker logic).

~ Johannes

[0]
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/b2545b71d121ac913e56faff3b704f3957f941b7/llvm/lib/Transforms/IPO/AttributorAttributes.cpp#L4170