[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introduce a new stepvector operation

Paul Walker via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 28 03:46:55 PST 2021

Thanks Chris, this all sounds great. I just felt the question needed to be asked as I didn't want to have this new feature automatically imply new shufflevector features (where I still believe the best solution for scalable vectors is to just never use the shufflevector instruction, but that's a story for a different day).

It matches very closely to our earlier design in that we implemented an indexvector instruction that took start and step values.  This had a ConstantExpr variant, which other that the way it was printed, pretty much mapped to this <n, n+1,..> concept.  We switched to stepvector to simplify the design along with our technical debt, plus it meant we had nicer handling for wrapping flags[1].  As you say having support for <imm, imm+1,..> instead of just <0, 1,...> sounds like a perfect upgrade.

[1] What's the plan for wrapping?  Are these constants implicit NSW/NUW?

Paul!!!