[llvm-dev] LLVM Orc Weekly #28 -- ORC Runtime Prototype update

Stefan Gränitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 22 02:53:12 PST 2021

I am always in favor of getting JIT improvements into mainline as soon
as possible. Also, simplifying APIs is an important goal.

On the other hand this raises a few general questions for me:

IIUC the current patch introduces a dependency from LLVM to
compiler-rt/clang build artifacts, because the llvm-jitlink-executor
executable is fully functional only if it can find the clang_rt.orc
static library in the build tree. Do we have dependencies like that in
mainline so far?

And how does it affect testing? So far, it seems we have no testing for
out-of-process execution, because the only tool that exercises this
functionality is llvm-jitlink, which itself is mostly used as a testing
helper. If the functionality now moves into the TargetProcess library,
it might be worth thinking through the test strategy first.

At the moment, the TargetProcess library is only used by JITLink. Will
it stay like that? If so, RuntimeDyld-based JITs will not be affected by
the patch. Will it be possible to build and run e.g. a LLJIT instance
with a RuntimeDyldLinkingLayer if only LLVM gets built (omitting
LLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS="clang;compiler-rt")?

Last but not least, there are examples that use JITLink. Could we still
build and run them if only LLVM gets built?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
https://flowcrypt.com/pub/stefan.graenitz@gmail.com