[llvm-dev] lifetime.start/end

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 19 09:37:04 PST 2021

I haven't followed the whole discussion here, so I'm not sure if I've
understood the proposal correctly, but I'm a bit concerned.

In the IR generated by Clang, lifetime markers are inserted to denote the
scope of the variable's storage. As such, it ought to be entirely valid to
coalesce the variables x and y to a single address in the following
example, *even though* the addresses both escape and are compared:

int *p_x, *p_y;
int test() {
  {
    int x = 5;
    p_x = &x;
  }
  {
    int y = 5;
    p_y = &y;
  }
  return p_x == p_y;
}

Although we don't currently appear to do such coalescing, it would seem
unfortunate to define the IR so as to prohibit it.

Furthermore, it's not clear to me that the comparison at the end is
actually required to return a consistent answer. The deallocation of x and
y magically transforms all pointers to them into "invalid pointer values",
the use of which is implementation defined [https://wg21.link/basic.stc]. I
think it'd be OK for the implementation to say that deallocation turns all
such pointers into indeterminate values -- and, thus, to end up with (p_x
== p_y) being false, and yet, for a subsequent `printf("%p %p\n", p_x,
p_y);` to print the same value twice.