[llvm-dev] [cmake] Third-party tools C++ standard requirements

Kim Gräsman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 16 02:42:58 PST 2021

Hi all,

A bug was recently opened on IWYU where the reporter was packaging IWYU for
Homebrew on Mac [1]. For some reason, their Apple Clang system compiler
defaulted to a C++ standard that fails to parse the LLVM headers (details
in the first page of the bug report) -- from cursory inspection it looks
like c++03.

I wonder if there should be a way for LLVM's CMake package to announce its
'-std' requirements to embedders? We could add an explicit '-std' switch in
IWYU's build system, of course, but I figured this might be a recurring
problem for tools.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
- Kim