[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Automated signing of release files

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 14 10:35:47 PST 2021

On 1/13/21 3:11 AM, David Chisnall via cfe-dev wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> It would be good to articulate what yo believe the benefit is here.

Thanks for this reply, this is really helpful.

To me the benefit of some kind of automatic signing would just be to
save time and also avoid mistakes in the current manual process.

It sounds like from this response and others that using GitHub actions
or some other CI systems to do the signing may not be the best approach.
I may just try to script more of what I'm currently during on my local
machine as that will help provide some of the benefits I'm looking for.

> Signing is generally a process of associating an identity with an
> artefact so that attestations can be made about that artefact.
>
> Git hashes are intrinsically signatures.  They associate the artefact of
> the latest commit with the identity of the merkel tree that defines the
> history.  As a result, they allow a user to validate that the code that
> they have is the same as some other repository.  Someone can look at
> their local depth-1 checkout and validate that it is part of the history
> of the public repository.
>
> The simplest way for a user to get a cryptographic attestation that they
> have files that correspond to a revision in our git tree is to get a
> depth 1 checkout of the repo.  This is currently 140MB of data to
> transfer with git.  The extracted tree is 747MB including 149MB of git
> metadata.  The xz-compressed tarball sizes are very different: 86MB
> without the git info, 230MB with, so there's a big size saving to be had
> by not including the git data.
>
> Presumably the goal here is to tie the hash of the tarball to a specific
> git revision with less overhead than including the full git state in the
> tarball.  The core idea here is to allow folks that download the tarball
> to delegate verifying that it matches the git repo to some other entity.
>
> The simplest way for a user to do this is to grab the tarball over HTTPS
> directly from GitHub using a URL like:
>
> https://api.github.com/repos/llvm/llvm-project/tarball/0f59d099571d3d803b54e2ce06aa94babb9b26db

GitHub automatically adds a tarball to the release page for us:

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/archive/llvmorg-11.0.1.tar.gz

But, we stopped relying on this, because we had a user report that the
tarball format was not stable, so you weren't guaranteed to get the
exact same bits each time you download it.  I'm not sure if this same
issue affects the tarballs accessed by using a git commit hash as well.

-Tom