[llvm-dev] Beginning developer questions

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 11 20:33:19 PST 2021

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:07 PM Stefanos Baziotis via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi Deep,
>
> 1) Kind of. There's Doxygen generated from source automatically, which
> shows you many things e.g., members of a type along with some short
> documentation (which is taken from the code). It also shows you the
> inheritance tree related to this type
> Here's an example: https://llvm.org/doxygen/classllvm_1_1LoopInfo.html
> It doesn't really matter what this is for now, but you can see e.g., that
> LoopInfo inherits from LoopInfoBase. If you scroll down, you can click to
> different members and go to a more detailed description further down. You
> can open the dropdown menus (e.g., public
> functions inherited). And finally, at the top, you can see the file it
> appears at. In general, I think that if you start clicking stuff, it's
> going to make sense, it's relatively intuitive.
>
> 2) Try minimizing the number of parallel threads used. I think by default
> Ninja uses all the available threads which in most machines will fill up
> the RAM. To limit them, use the -j argument like this: ninja -j8
> Another thing that will probably be useful in general is that you can
> choose to build specific sub-projects instead of building the whole thing,
> like this: ninja -j8 opt

You can also use -DLLVM_PARALLEL_LINK_JOBS=<number> on your cmake command
to limit just the number of linking jobs that can run in parallel.
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS=ON can be a useful
build configuration that you gets you debug logging and assertions, but you
won't have debug symbols for gdb. There's also -DLLVM_USE_SPLIT_DWARF. All
of these options are covered here
https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#common-problems