[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introduce the `!nocapture` metadata and "nocapture_use" operand bundle

Jameson Nash via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 8 10:25:15 PST 2021

Hey Johannes,

>From my recollection of past conversations with you, in the example with
`foo`, shouldn't there be a `pthread_join` call also represented in the
documentation, so that the lifetime of the child call is shown to not
escape the scope of the parent stack frame?

For the !nocapture/nocapture_use optimizations, what is the intended
semantics in the presence of interprocedural analysis, such as inlining? It
sounds like the !nocapture is tied to the lifetime of the alloca, but the
last use of the value loaded is always, necessarily, going to come after
the last use of the alloca (to load the value), and thus seems insufficient
to cover the lifetime of the uses of that stored pointer.