[llvm-dev] lifetime.start/end

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 8 08:16:31 PST 2021

I think a sensible next step would be to determine the impact of A3 (below)
on real code. Basically, "fixing" test3 here:
https://opt.godbolt.org/z/Wesn5r

I doubt I will get to that any time soon. Juneyoung, Nikita, would you
be able to
run some experiments?

A3: We could not use lifetime to argue about addresses. This means we
could/should also not argue that overlapping
     lifetimes result in different addresses. Thus, a comparison between
the address of two allocas could not
     immediately be folded. That said, there would be special cases
though. Basically, if one of the allocas does
     not escape, other than the comparisons to be folded, we can fold
them. Afterwards, coalescing or splitting
     would still be consistent because it is unobservable. The problem
we have in-tree is that we fold even though
     the address is still observed (after the fold). It is still unclear
to me what the impact of this would be
     on real code. I suggested before that we run some experiments first
before we make any decision whatsoever.

On 1/7/21 10:12 PM, Juneyoung Lee wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 8:54 AM Johannes Doerfert <johannesdoerfert at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/7/21 4:55 PM, Juneyoung Lee wrote:
>>> It is, alloca must have its integral address decided at its *allocation*
>>> time as well, like 0xFF00... .
>>>
>>> For example, if 0xFFFF0000 ~ 0xFF000000 is already allocated, the new
>>> alloca cannot be placed there unless it is not observed in the future,
>>> according to your proposal.
>>>
>>> But how do we know from the current state whether the stack variable is
>>> going to be observed or not?
>> With that argument you could allocate all but 4 bytes, do a malloc(4)
>> and know the address of the returned pointer (assuming it is not null).
>>
>> What I try to say is, either your scenario is part of the model and
>> everything we do is broken as you could "observe" addresses passively,
>> *or*, the abstract machine we use for semantic reasoning doesn't permit
>> the above reasoning. I really hope for the latter.
>>
> That's a very valid point..!
>
> Actually, I have a memory model that addresses this problem.
> The gist is that we can interpret each allocation instruction as *creating
> 2 blocks* and nondeterministically returning one of them.
> The other one is marked as invalid but not freed immediately. Deallocation
> frees both blocks.
> If there is not enough space for having two blocks, it is treated as
> out-of-memory.
>
> It makes guessing the address of an allocation according to memory layout
> invalid UB.
>
> p = malloc(4)
> // If p != null, it is guaranteed there was at least two 4 byte slots
> available, say 0x100~0x104 and 0x110~0x114.
> // Two blocks are allocated at 0x110 and 0x114, and one of the addresses is
> nondeterministically returned.
> // By the nature of nondeterminism, all executions below should be
> well-defined regardless of the address of p.
> *(int*)0x100 = 10; // In an execution where p is 0x110, this raises UB.
>
> The paper link is here <https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3276495> FYI.

Nice! Thanks for the link :)