[llvm-dev] [RFC] Move py-mlir-release to new top-level repo in the LLVM org

Stella Laurenzo via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 7 12:08:53 PST 2021

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:52 AM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for working on this Stella!
>
> I'm wondering about the versioning: these packages that we'd publish
> continuously are necessarily "unstable" to some extent. How do we handle
> the versioning and the alignment with LLVM releases?

The way I envision this is that daily/snapshot releases are just at a
floating llvm-project head. Currently, automation bumps that head twice per
day by committing a new commit hash to the llvm-project.version file
<https://github.com/stellaraccident/mlir-py-release/blob/main/llvm-project.version>,
allocating a new/unique/monotonic snapshot-YYYYMMDD.NN tag and scheduling
the build of a new release at that tag (GitHub releases are 1:1 with a
tag). The source revision and tag information is published in the built
wheels themselves. I had it set up so that a downstream project that was
able to do an "import mlir" could also track back to the installed headers
and shared libraries that produced it and could be used to build against
it, up to and including its own wheels that depend on the exact version
published. I ended up backing that last part out, not because it was a bad
idea per se, but because I decided it would be more effective to straighten
out the shared library situation first, before letting the current
arrangement spider (currently the released mlir wheel only contains enough
to build/link against the C API). These snapshot releases are unstable but
we do retain them as fixed reference points that are tested/available for
close to at-head downstreams to stay current.

I expect that once these things mature to the point of being ready for
inclusion in official, numbered LLVM releases, we would create a branch in
this repo for the release, commit the llvm-project.version file to pin it
to the upstream release HEAD, and then schedule an "official" release
(something like "llvm-12.0rc1.NN" vs the current "snapshot-YYYYMMDD.NN"),
build and deploy it to PyPi. Most of that would be completely shared with
the snapshot release pipeline, except there would be a different (or even
manual) trigger job, and these would be uploaded to PyPi (snapshot releases
just accumulate on the GitHub releases page and can be installed directly
from there).

> Otherwise I'm fine with a new repo for this, in particular since it
> involves GitHub action and these can't be isolated (in terms of
> notification and such) other than at the repository boundary.
>
> For the LLVM releases, would we need to branch in this repo as well?

A branch would be needed to capture the commit relationship, and then each
actual build would be a tag to a commit on that branch.