[llvm-dev] Kaleidoscope tutorial help on Windows

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 6 17:15:58 PST 2021

Hi all,

I was playing around with the C++ Kaleidoscope tutorial<https://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/MyFirstLanguageFrontend/index.html> recently and noticed that once JIT support is added (Chapter 4) it doesn't appear to work on Windows.

When the application is built in Debug mode using Visual Studio I can't even seem to execute simple statements such as 2+2. I see the error:

"Assertion failed: I != MR.SymbolFlags.end() && "Resolving symbol outside this responsibility set", file C:\Dev\llvm-project\llvm\lib\ExecutionEngine\Orc\Core.cpp, line 2629"

However, when I build the application in Release mode I am able to execute simple arithmetic statements, but I can't make any function calls. When I attempt to call a function like the tutorial documentation suggest, I get an error similar to the following:
"JIT session error: Failed to materialize symbols: { (<main>, { __real at 4024000000000000, __real at 4010000000000000 }) }"

I'm by no means a JIT expert (hence why I was doing the tutorial), so I was hoping someone could take a look and help out or point me in the right direction.

I also noticed that the test config marks tests for the examples as unsupported if the platform is windows:
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/llvm/test/Examples/lit.local.cfg

Is there a reason for this? Perhaps this issue of the broken Kaleidoscope example on Windows could have been caught earlier via the associated tests?

Thanks in advance for any help/information you can provide,
-Justice