[llvm-dev] Question about the build

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 4 06:52:19 PST 2021

I was having the opposite problem: Building the native TableGen did not trigger downstream rebuilds.

Could you see if the problem is still happening and then post some details here? I know almost nothing about the build process, but I can investigate whether TableGen is unnecessarily rewriting identical output files.

At 1/4/2021 03:32 AM, James Henderson wrote:
>For what it's worth, I've recently been running into problems related to the NATIVE tablegen build for optimized tablegen usage in debug builds. In my case, it was (and may still be) unnecessarily rebuilding tablegen related files every time, even though nothing has changed, which in turn causes the rest of the build to trigger (as Visual Studio sees things as being out-of-date). I forget the exact details, but can dig them out later if someone is interested in investigating further. I haven't had the time to dig into this properly myself, but it is frequently hurting my productivity.

Windfall               Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
   Software            978 369-0839
                             www.windfall.com
My life has been filled with calamities,
some of which actually happened.
---Mark Twain

Guga 'mzimba, sala 'nhliziyo