[llvm-dev] Confusions around nocapture and sret

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 22 09:51:07 PST 2021

On 2/22/21 11:31 AM, Jameson Nash via llvm-dev wrote:
>> end up generating this IR after optimisation
> AFAICT, that's the IR before optimization, as seen from `clang -S
> -emit-llvm -O0 -o - -x c -`.
>
>> I strongly suggest to emit nocapture with sret in the frontend instead.
> It seems like `clang -x c` doesn't emit nocapture for even trivial cases I
> tried (like the above, but without function `x`). Is that a bug then, or
> just not applicable to C?

I think one of my earlier statement was wrong as sret doesn't imply
nocapture
the was we use it. The frontend could know if it does and place
nocapture, but
it is not as straight forward as I hoped it would be. Unclear if it is worth
to add the logic to Clang but certainly it is good if frontends emit as many
attributes as possible.

> Regardless, I don't think this should be a verifier error for passing
> nocapture to maycapture, since it may be valid for a source language to
> know that a particular use of an argument is nocapture, even if the general
> function contract doesn't promise it.

Agreed. You can do that in C/C++ through clang as well.