[llvm-dev] The state-of-art at Instruction selection

yao zhongxiao via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 19 05:59:59 PST 2021

Dear LLVMer

I read the Instruction selection in LLVM recently.
I find the most important two frameworks "SelectionDAG" and "GlobalISel".
As far as I know, the "SelectionDAG" is the default framework
and GlobalISel is ongoing now!

Can someone give some detailed information about the Instruction selection
frameworks?
such as(including but not limited to) :
1. What's the plan for "GlobalISel" to replace the "SelectionDAG"?
2. GlobalISel uses its own instruction pattern matcher,
   how will the target instruction description be with tablegen, especially
the DAG type in tablegen?
3. "SelectionDAG" is the framework in the trunk,
     what's the suggestion to following the upcoming "GlobalISel" if we
maintain a downstream project?
4. Can someone share some detailed docs or design paper except the
following docs
    https://llvm.org/docs/GlobalISel/index.html

Thanks.

--