[llvm-dev] willreturn

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 17 12:19:18 PST 2021

Hi,

> On Feb 17, 2021, at 19:15, Johannes Doerfert <johannesdoerfert at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 2/17/21 12:04 PM, Jeroen Dobbelaere wrote:
>>> I'm confused.
>>>
>>> Are you interested in adding `willreturn` to a function via clang?
>> I think so (also getting a little confused :( ) ..
>> What should the behavior be of a '__attribute__((const))' function ?
>> Is the progress guaranteed ?
>>
>> See https://www.godbolt.org/z/GoPYhM
>>

>> // extern "C" ...
>> extern int ptrfun1(int, int*, int*) __attribute__((const));
>>
>> int b[5];
>>
>> int foo() {
>>     int a[10];
>>     int index = ptrfun1(5, &a[0], &b[0]);
>>     a[index]=10;
>>     return a[index];
>> }
>>
>> clang-11 is able to optimize this away
>>
>> clang-trunc is mixed:
>> - for this case, the call will not optimize it away. (as far as I see, since D94106)
>> - But if you do not use the return value upfront, it will be optimized away.
>>     int index = 3;
>>     ptrfun1(5, &a[0], &b[0]);
>>
>> If a '__attribute__((const))' function is allowed to not progress, then not all llvm passes are aware of this
>> with the current mapping on llvm attributes and imho, we'll need an attribute to indicate that we want
>> to have progress. Or, clang should map '__attribute__((const))' to 'readnone willreturn'.
>
> FWIW, I think removal is correct because you run it as C++ program.

Yep, I think that’s the case.

> This is "just" a phase ordering issue. Run O3 again and trunk happily removes it: https://www.godbolt.org/z/95qeah <https://www.godbolt.org/z/95qeah>
> That said, I agree, we should check why this is happening and what to do about it.

I think the reason this gets removed after another -O3 run is that there still are passes that may remove functions, even if they may not return. In this case it appears to be Bit-Tracking Dead Code Elimination.

> Now wrt. the attribute lowering (const/pure) I think we could add willreturn iff the standard is C++11 or newer, but
> not otherwise. For C++ before 11 and C we can always have infinite loops with constant conditions, IIRC.

I think what we need to do is propagate information from function attributes to the call sites in the function. For mustprogress functions, all call sites should also be mustprogress I think. If the called function is also readnone (as in the const case), we should be able to add willreturn to the call site. So I think for the C++ case, all the needed information should already be available, we just need to make use of it. The question is mostly where we should do that? FunctionAttrs?

On the C side of things, it might be useful to have an attribute to indicate that a function will always return.

Cheers,
Florian