[llvm-dev] SCEV determines the inner loop induction variable to be loop-invariant at the scope of the outer loop

congzhe cao via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 16 20:17:26 PST 2021

Hi there,

Can I have one further question please? Currently SCEV uses
`computeLoopDisposition(SCEV *S, Loop *L)` to check if a SCEV expression is
a loop invariant. The concern here is that it does not handle cmp
instructions very well, because cmp instructions are not recognized as a
SCEV type - it is merely an "scUnknown" type. For  scUnknown, `
computeLoopDisposition()` only checks if L contains the underlying
instruction from S and if that is the case, it determines S is not a loop
invariant, which may not be very accurate.

However for a cmp instruction, I suspect it is okay to say if both operands
are loop-invariants, then this cmp instruction can be determined to be a
loop invariant. I added some code in `computeLoopDisposition()` under the
case of scUnknown that executes that logic -  if both operands are
loop-invariants then this cmp instruction is a loop invariant. This way we
can determine some cmp instructions to be loop invariants (whereas
previously they were not determined to be loop invariants), and may expose
opportunities for optimization. It unfortunately causes a number of
regression test failures and benchmark compilation failures. The failures
are from induction variable simplification, ScalarEvolution and
ScalarEvolutionExpander. I am able to add fixes here and there to avoid
those failures, but my concern is that it seems messy (different fixes in a
number of places that address problems caused by loop-invariance of cmp
instructions).

Would it be preferred to add full support for cmp instructions in SCEV,
like adding and supporting an "scCMP" type in `SCEVTypes`?

Thanks,
Congzhe

>>> http://users.uoa.gr/~sdi1600105/compilers/introduction-to-scalar-evolution.html