[llvm-dev] [PROPOSAL] Add Bazel Build Configuration to the LLVM Monorepo

Geoffrey Martin-Noble via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 13:00:33 PST 2021

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:46 PM Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 3:22 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <
> glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Geoffrey!
>>
>> On 2/9/21 9:09 PM, Geoffrey Martin-Noble via llvm-dev wrote:
>> > The review of "Add Bazel Build Configuration to the LLVM Monorepo"
>> begins
>> > now and runs through 2021-02-23 (two weeks). The proposal is available
>> > online
>> > <
>> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-www/blob/main/proposals/LP0002-BazelBuildConfiguration.md
>> >

>> Bazel currently does not build on any 32-bit architecture and has issues
>> even
>> on some 64-bit architectures like MIPS or RISC-V:
>>

>> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=bazel-bootstrap&suite=sid
>>
>> Is there any chance this can get fixed before accepting Bazel support
>> into LLVM?
>>

> Why would this be a limiting factor? It just wouldn't work on those
> platforms?
>
> To expand a bit on Eric's response, the intent here is *not* to make Bazel
a supported build system for LLVM or to replace CMake (which I believe the
proposal makes clear), but rather to enable Bazel usage and shared
configuration for people and projects that already use it. I do not expect
that Bazel will cover all the use cases currently supported by LLVM CMake
any time soon (ever?).I don't work on Bazel itself, so have no insight on
the support plan for those architectures. Only developers interested in
working with Bazel would be expected to use or update the configuration, so
lack of support for specific architectures should not affect things, I
think.