[llvm-dev] [FileCheck] Error for unused check prefixes (was: [RFC] FileCheck: (dis)allowing unused prefixes)

Fāng-ruì Sòng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 5 14:08:04 PST 2021

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 12:36 PM Fāng-ruì Sòng <maskray at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 12:12 PM Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> ISTM That the tests using update_test_checks should probably opt into allowing unused prefixes as a matter of course.
> >>
> >> With a set of auto-updated checks, an unused prefix is unlikely to be due to a mistake, like it would indicate be for a manually maintained test. Maybe update_test_checks could even add the right argument to FileCheck automatically.
> >

> > That's a great observation. If update_test_checks is used, then typos aren't really possible and unused check prefixes are only unnecessary at worst (and usually "currently unnecessary"). Making a distinction based on that seems like a nice solution to me.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nikita
>
> Thanks for the feedback! llvm/test/CodeGen has already defaulted to
> --allow-unused-prefixes=false.
> From this discussion, update{,_llc,_analyzer}_test_checks can be
> improved to add --allow-unused-prefixes on demand.
> (Such tests do exist but are not too many.)
> So I will assume that the blocker has been resolved.
>

> --
> 宋方睿

I'll submit https://reviews.llvm.org/D95849 next week.

(We actually have another thread discussing the
update_*_test_checks.py's problem
(https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-February/148367.html).
Hope we can find folks who are willing to improve the situation. (Not
affected by this FileCheck default change as far as I can see :)))

--
宋方睿