[llvm-dev] Conflicting check prefix detection not working in update_llc_test_checks.py?

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 3 11:25:20 PST 2021

Maybe. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "functions with no asm".

X86 especially has a lot of tests with a half dozen or more RUN lines.
There is a common prefix for all RUN lines or at least all AVX/AVX512 run
lines and then successively more precise check prefixes grouping smaller
and smaller subsets of RUN lines. The goal is to minimize the number of
check lines in the file by grouping as much as possible. But allowing
precise checks for individual functions that have different behavior on
many targets.

Since we can't have unused prefixes in the test files any more we might
lose some of the finer grained check prefixes if multiple RUN lines produce
the same results for all functions today. A future change may break that
and require finer grained prefixes to be added. That's the important case
to warn about since it requires the user to change the RUN lines.

~Craig