[llvm-dev] HelloWorldPass ?

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 2 13:32:27 PST 2021

My team is packaging up our next release, and this new pass popped
up.  It has its own library and everything (LLVMHelloWorld.lib),
but it appears to be mandatory when linking against LLVM in general.
I can see it's an example pass regarding the new pass manager, but
I can also see the equivalent example for the legacy pass manager
wasn't mandatory and we don't have it in our package.

It seems like kind of a trivial thing to worry about--it's clearly
harmless and doesn't take up a lot of space--but it's how the thing
is packaged differently than the old Hello pass that bothers me.

- I see it's listed in lib/Passes/Registry.def; the old one wasn't.

- I see its CMakeLists.txt uses add_llvm_component_library where the
old one uses add_llvm_library.

I can't say I understand these things but just being different
raises my eyebrow.  Is there a good reason they're different?
And just for my own curiosity, what's the simplest way to avoid
needing it in our package?

Thanks,
--paulr