[llvm-dev] Compiler-rt Builtins

Matt Andrews via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 6 21:42:38 PST 2021

Hi,

I was wondering if the compiler-rt builtins are libc agnostic or if they
can be built without linking to any libc at all.

I’m a total noob in this area, and I assumed that the builtins wouldn’t
need any libc, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m confused as to how you need a runtime library to build a libc, but you
also need a libc to build the runtime library.

I’m currently trying out some cross compilation and wanted to do it all
from scratch, but there seems to be a bit of a chicken and egg scenario
happening.

Is it possible to build the compiler-rt builtins without linking to
anything else?

Also, out of interest, if it’s not possible, what would it take to alter
the builtins so you could do it?

Thanks,

Matt