[llvm-dev] LICM as canonical form

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 6 06:11:53 PST 2021

Hi Philip,

Many thanks for writing this up! I have been wanting to kick off this discussion for some time, but didn't get round to it. I am in the "profit driven LICM" camp because I see LICM as a canonical form leading to some poor results in benchmarks. The problem as I see is that LICM is a canonical form, but we don't have the mechanisms to undo this (in the backend). I.e., LoopSink keeps being mentioned but this only works when profile data is available:

    // Enable LoopSink only when runtime profile is available.
    // With static profile, the sinking decision may be sub-optimal.

The other candidate that could do this is MachineSink, but it can't sink back into loops. The result is that we have a canonical transform that is as aggressive as it can be, doesn't make a profitability call, and we can't undo this later and this obviously leads to suboptimal results for some cases.

Here be dragons, I think. Adding profitability analysis to LICM is going to be tricky on IR (e.g. register pressure), but what I want to be explicit about is that reversing LICM in the back-end and on the MIR (MachineSink) is also very tricky. For example, alias analysis and just in general moving instructions around is more tricky. I can't back this up with numbers, but letting LICM serve a purpose such as enabling SCEV or loop idiom recognition and let it hoist profit driven seems to make intuitively more sense than it being a canonical form that (at the moment) we can't undo. And please note that we also have MachineCSE, which performs hoisting on MIR.

I completely agree with your "How could we change this?" section and I am happy with your mail/proposal, that we can discuss different approaches and not just get the "it's a canonical transform" answer. I will accept that the burden is on the person proposing a change and this being a massive project IMHO has prevented me so far from kicking off this discussion earlier.

That's why I would like to discuss here how we could best facilitate this discussion, and what I mean by that is developing this "proof" upstream. If we allow LICM to be profile driven under options that are off-by-default, then this proof could developed incrementally and upstream, in the open, which is by far a far more attractive development model than doing this first all downstream and then trying to convince the community. The obvious benefits are that the design can be discussed, others can contribute and test it, etc. The disadvantage obviously is adding code that is not enabled by default, but given that this serves the goal of an experiment and redesign that seems reasonable to me.

Kind regards,
Sjoerd.