[llvm-dev] What's the difference between llvm `resume` instruction and `__cxa_rethrow`?

chuanqi.xcq via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 1 19:00:02 PST 2021

Hi John,

Many thanks for your explanation of Exception Handling!

>  So it depends on what’s in the ellipses, but I believe this code is invalid, and landing pads are not supposed to do a resume when they’ve said they’re going to catch.
>
> I assume the actual source code you’re processing doesn’t literally have a catch (...) { throw; }, and instead it calls some function that might do a throw;?

I guess I didn't make things clear (or I misunderstood you). I think the code I posted might be valid. Here is my rational. First in https://eel.is/c++draft/dcl.fct.def.coroutine#5,
it says the coroutine should be expanded into

```
{
   promise-type promise promise-constructor-arguments ;
   try {
      co_await promise.initial_suspend() ;
      function-body
   } catch ( ... ) {
      if (!initial-await-resume-called)
         throw ;
      promise.unhandled_exception() ;
   }
final-suspend :
   co_await promise.final_suspend() ;
}
```

Here `initial-await-resume-called` is initially false and is set to true immediately before the co-await-resume expression of the initial suspend.
So I understand the try-catch part  of the codes above is equivalent to:

```
try {
    auto init_awaiter = promise.initial_suspend();
    if (!init_awaiter.await_ready())
         init_awaiter.await_suspend();
} catch (...) {
     throw; // throw anything the catch captured.
}
try {
   init_awaiter.await_resume();
function-body
} catch(...) {
promise.unhandled_exception() ;
}
```

BTW, the code generated in clang now looks like:

```
// This is not captured by try-catch!
auto init_awaiter = promise.initial_suspend();
if (!init_awaiter.await_ready())
     init_awaiter.await_suspend();
try {
   init_awaiter.await_resume();
   function-body
} catch(...) {
promise.unhandled_exception() ;
}
```

>  So it depends on what’s in the ellipses

Could I think that if there is nothing is elipses (catches all exceptions), then the behavior should be same?

Hi James,

Thanks for your explanation. So the different between `resume` and `__cxa_rethrow` should be the place they are used, right?

> Yet, it seems unlikely that Clang is actually getting the above incorrect -- do you have a more complete test-case you think might be wrong?

No, I don't think the behavior is wrong. I just want to make sure if the behavior of clang is consistent with the standard.
The behavior now looks good to me from my simple test: https://godbolt.org/z/8j4bce9jd. I could catch the exception from the caller.
I just found that the LLVM IR generated looks inconsistency with what I imaged. I image that it should generate `__cxa_rethrow` but it
generate `resume` actually. So I send this mail.

From the discussion above, it looks like this wouldn't be a block issue to announce clang's implementation for coroutine is conformed
(I know there are other issues)

Thanks,
Chuanqi