[llvm-dev] [Exception Handling] Could we mark __cxa_end_catch as nounwind conditionally?

John McCall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 30 12:43:22 PDT 2021

On 30 Aug 2021, at 2:59, Fāng-ruì Sòng wrote:
> On 2021-08-30, chuanqi.xcq wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   Let me introduce about the background:
>>   I find that the compiler couldn't mark `foo` as `nounwind` in the
>> following example:
>>
>> ```
>> void bar();
>> void foo() {
>>    try {
>>        bar();
>>    } catch(...) {}
>> }
>> ```
>>
>>   From my perspective, it is clear that foo wouldn't throw any
>> exception. So it is natural to me that the compiler could mark foo as
>> nounwind as an optimization. But it didn't.
>>   This pattern occurs frequently in C++20 coroutine. So I tried to
>> handle coroutine specially before in:
>> https://reviews.llvm.org/D108277.
>>   But the all the reviewers strongly suggested that we should handle
>> this case generally for all of functions instead of coroutines only.
>>
>>   Then when I looked into the details in IR, I found the reason is
>> that __cxa_end_catch isn't nounwind.
>>   Here is the IR generated:
>>
>> ```
>> ; Function Attrs: mustprogress uwtable
>> define dso_local void @_Z3foov() local_unnamed_addr #0 personality
>> i8* bitcast (i32 (...)* @__gxx_personality_v0 to i8*) {
>>  invoke void @_Z3barv()
>>          to label %5 unwind label %1
>>
>> 1:                                                ; preds = %0
>>  %2 = landingpad { i8*, i32 }
>>          catch i8* null
>>  %3 = extractvalue { i8*, i32 } %2, 0
>>  %4 = tail call i8* @__cxa_begin_catch(i8* %3) #2 ; nounwind
>>  tail call void @__cxa_end_catch()
>>  br label %5
>>
>> 5:                                                ; preds = %0, %1
>>  ret void
>> }
>> ```
>>
>>    I found that if I marked the call to __cxa_end_catch() as
>> `nounwind`, the foo could be marked as `nounwind`. So I start to
>> survey why __cxa_end_catch() isn't 'nounwind'.
>>    First is the comment on __cxa_end_catch() in libcxxabi:
>>
>> ```
>> Upon exit for any reason, a handler must call:
>>    void __cxa_end_catch ();
>>
>> This routine can be called for either a native or foreign exception.
>> For a native exception:
>> * Locates the most recently caught exception and decrements its
>> handler count.
>> * Removes the exception from the caught exception stack, if the
>> handler count goes to zero.
>> * If the handler count goes down to zero, and the exception was not
>> re-thrown
>>  by throw, it locates the primary exception (which may be the same as
>> the one
>>  it's handling) and decrements its reference count. If that reference
>> count
>>  goes to zero, the function destroys the exception. In any case, if
>> the current
> [...]

That is not how this works.  Here’s the path we need to take.

First, as I mentioned in the review, we need to figure out what the
language standard expects to happen when the destructor for an exception
throws at the end of a `catch`.  Currently we are essentially treating
this as undefined behavior, which I think is highly unlikely to be the
intent of the standard.

If it’s allowed to unwind, then `__cxa_end_catch` can throw, and so
the second step is to:
(1) fix the bugs in the language runtimes to handle this situation
correctly and not leak the exception object, and then
(2) fix GCC to stop unconditionally assuming that `__cxa_end_catch` does
not throw.
We could then add an opt-in flag to globally assume that exception
destructors never throw as an optimization if that’s really important
for getting good code.

If it’s supposed to call `std::terminate`, then we need to come to an
agreement with the language runtimes about whose responsibility it is to
ensure that the exception is caught and `std::terminate` is called.
That means opening an issue with the Itanium C++ ABI.  If we decide
it’s the compiler’s responsibility to pass a noexcept function as
the exception destructor, then we need to fix Clang to wrap the
destructor in a noexcept function when it’s not noexcept.  If we
decide it’s the runtime’s responsibility, we need to fix the
runtimes to catch this exception and call `std::terminate`.  In either
of those casess, `__cxa_end_catch` is known not to throw.  We could also
decide it’s the compiler’s responsibility to call `std::terminate`
if `__cxa_end_catch` throws, and if so then we have to do that; however,
I think that would be a bad outcome.

John.