[llvm-dev] AMDGPU backend Local Data Share memory instructions

Charitha Saumya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 27 21:37:47 PDT 2021

Hi,

Can the AMDGPU backend introduce LDS memory (shared memory) instructions
during the compilation process in a kernel that does explicitly use shared
memory?
I have a benchmark which shows this strange behavior.
When I compile the program with two different sets of optimizations, one
version seems to issue LDS memory instructions but the other version does
not. And the one that uses LDS is faster.
I profiled the program with rocprof to get the number of LDS instructions
issued. (SQ_INSTS_LDS)

Thanks
Charitha Saumya