[llvm-dev] [RFC] Deprecating the legacy pass manager for the optimization pipeline

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 27 15:54:21 PDT 2021

These revisions are deprecating (IIUC):
1) Clang user flags to use the legacy pass manager.
2) The CMake build flag that defines the *default* pass manager.

These don't seem like the most impactful for downstream users, are they?

On the other hand, what seems to me to be critical to clarify is if you
also intend to deprecate other things, like the use of the legacy pass
manager in opt (or as a pass manager in a downstream tool/compiler)? Are we
gonna also remove all the legacy adapters that make the passes work in the
legacy pass manager as well?

This looks more important to me because this affects directly how other
compilers are built on top of LLVM and push them to migrate, while the
deprecation revision you sent may just have no effect on them.

Thanks,

--
Mehdi