[llvm-dev] Cloning MachineFunction

Markus Lavin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 20 03:28:52 PDT 2021

Hi,

To me it seems that we should have some means to clone machine functions. As far as I can see there currently is none.
Such functionality would be required if/when trying to do MIR reduction ([llvm-dev] llvm-reduce for MIR (google.com)<https://groups.google.com/g/llvm-dev/c/dggTGzLIezw/m/BGxZdoaHAwAJ>) and I am sure that there could be other uses as well if it was indeed available.

I know the question of cloning machine functions have been brought up before in [llvm-dev] Cloning MachineFunctions (google.com)<https://groups.google.com/g/llvm-dev/c/DOP6RSV8lQ4/m/C3Lfe6gJEwAJ> and that Intel have done something along these lines as suggested in 2019 EuroLLVM Developers' Meeting: L. Saba "Swinging Modulo Scheduling together with Register ..." - YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4R3SqyNbqU>

Does anyone else see that a cloneMF() could be useful to have in-tree?

-Markus