[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding support for clang-format making further code modifying changes

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 10 12:45:17 PDT 2021

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 19:39, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fair - though I think it's insightful to know where things started/what
> the goals were (& some of those are still relevant, since that original use
> case is still a major use case), though it sounds like the direction we're
> discussing is pretty compatible with that original vision - Google style
> can continue to opt in to things consistent with that original vision of
> "more than whitespace changes when they're worth it" while keeping them off
> by default for unconfigured clang-format to make it safer-by-default. (LLVM
> will probably opt into some too, I imagine - like brace addition/removal,
> etc) Given both Google and LLVM are specific styles anyway, opting them
> into some of these more-than-whitespace features while having them
> otherwise off by default seems quite fine to me.

Agreed. That was the point I was trying to make. A more general tool with
safe defaults and configurable behaviour is compatible with all use cases.

It seemed to me Manuel was arguing to keep the breaking changes because
that fitted the original design and that was good enough. Perhaps I
misunderstood his point.