[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding support for clang-format making further code modifying changes

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 9 13:53:29 PDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 1:44 PM Andrew Tomazos via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'd just offer a few thoughts:
>
> - Whether or not to adopt clang-format for a project is already quite
> controversial in some places.  I think if we made it so that it also made
> more extensive non-whitespace changes, I think it would reduce
> its adoption, even if they were off by default.

Yeah? I wouldn't've figured that.

- Non-whitespace changes are very dangerous.  A bug in clang-format could
> more easily create bugs in the code it formats (at least that is the
> perception).  For some risk-averse projects, this would be an
> unacceptable risk.
>
> - Perhaps an alternative idea would be to create a new program called
> clang-reshape or something, that shared a common underlying framework with
> clang-format, but clang-reshape contains the options for both the
> non-whitespace changes and whitespace-changes, whereas clang-format only
> has the whitespace changes.  That way folks could adopt clang-format and
> ban clang-reshape if they only wanted whitespace changes.

This crossed my mind too - but I expect a lot of the clang-format
integration may be more invasive than that. (hardcoded binary names, use of
clang-format as a library, etc) - adding new features to the existing
adopted clang-format may be especially valuable compared to providing a new
tool. (that said, I do also feel like grouping features in an existing tool
only because of its existing adoption is super great either)

- Dave