[llvm-dev] Inline function not eventually inlined is removed

Fāng-ruì Sòng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 2 11:17:15 PDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 10:05 AM Mariusz Sikora <msikora87 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just trying to understand is this _Code_ undefined behavior or this is a bug in LLVM? Because why LLVM is removing functions without inlining it? For example GCC is not removing function event after inlining it.

This is a user error. You may be looking for -fgnu89-inline & C99
inline documentation.
An extern inline definition is needed.

Inlining can paper over the user error. clang decides that inlining is
not good because the trip count is too large.
If you decrease the number of iterations, you may find that clang
inlines the function and the linker error goes away.