[llvm-dev] Eliminating global memory roots (or not) to help leak checkers

pawel k. via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 23 21:02:21 PDT 2021

Hello,
*rant on*

If i was to say what we needed on couple embedded projects, if you alloc
and not free it was a leak. It matters for nano archs and some rtoses. If
you alloc and optimize out the store target and not free its still a leak
and harder to track. If it suggests leaks in compile with 80% prob, nice to
have but if runtime catches 100% leaks well still use runtime version
possibly with compile time check to catch em early ones that are catchable.

Soo from ci perspective, before doing pull request you should run testsuite
with runtime checks no matter you do compile checks or not. On commit both
compile and runtime testsuite checks will be run.

Best regards,
Pk

pt., 23.04.2021, 17:58 użytkownik Sterling Augustine via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> napisał:

> I want to point out that it doesn't need to be either 1. Good leak
> checking and the current lack of optimizations. Or 2. Bad leak checking and
> somewhat better optimization. (incidentally, 1.85% in clang was the _best_
> improvement I saw, not the expected case).
>
> There is plenty of room for wins here while preserving the functionality.
>
> For those who say the argument is over semantics about whether or not that
> is a leak:
>
> I would need to double check, but given 1. All three leak checkers work
> this way. 2. Those checkers work well with other compilers. It seems to me
> that other compilers behave this way too.
>
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM Philip Reames via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> code annotations (sanitizer suppression file, or attributes) is not a good
>>> solution to this issue. The problem is that this optimization introduces a
>>> "leak" (from the point of view of the leak checker), which wasn't there
>>> before. And in practice, this seems to cause a large number of false