[llvm-dev] new pass manager version of opt vs. legacy pass manager version

Min-Yih Hsu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 22 10:18:56 PDT 2021

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 8:34 AM Snider, Todd via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> My development group has been maintaining a downstream version of the
> monorepo that stays in sync with the upstream “main” branch, but we are
> still using the legacy pass manager in our local copy of the monorepo.
>

> We’ve recently encountered a few instances of lit tests that are failing
> when run with the legacy pass manager version of opt, but pass when run
> with the new pass manager version of opt.

I don't think you're talking about upstream tests right? Did you rewrite
some of the new-PM-only tests into old PM syntax?

> The situation raises a couple of questions:
>
>    - Is the legacy pass manager behavior being adequately tested by the
>    buildbots?
>    - What expectation should there be that legacy pass manager behavior
>    will be maintained in light of changes made to code that affects both the
>    new pass manager version and the legacy pass manager version of opt?

AFAIK many Passes share the same code base between old and new PM (except
few like AlwaysInliner who has completely different behaviors between old /
new PM), so any changes to their underlying implementation should reflect
in both PMs. The biggest differences between old / new PM is probably their
Pass ordering in the pipeline.

> I suspect that my group is not the only ones trying to stay in sync with
> the upstream LLVM main branch and keep using the legacy pass manager, and I
> anticipate the only long-term remedy for our situation is to move to using
> the new pass manager as soon as we can.

Well, don't forget we're still using old PM to do the code generation
(wink) so old PM _by itself_ won't go away any time soon. But I think
_optimization_ Passes written in legacy syntax might be removed sooner.

-Min

> Thoughts?
>

> Regards.
>

> Todd Snider
>
> Texas Instruments Incorporated

Min-Yih Hsu
Ph.D Student in ICS Department, University of California, Irvine (UCI).