[llvm-dev] Revisiting/refining the definition of optnone with interprocedural transformations

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 22 10:04:24 PDT 2021

On 4/22/21 11:49 AM, David Blaikie wrote:
> There seems to be a bunch of confusion and probably some
> conflation/ambiguity about whether we're talking about IR constructs
> on the C attributes.
>
> Johannes - I assume your claim is restricted mostly to the IR? That
> having optnone not require or imply noinline improves orthogonality of
> features and that there are reasonable use cases where one might want
> optnone while allowing inlining (of the optnone function) or optnone
> while disallowing inlining (of the optnone function)

Yes, IR level is my concern. I'd be in favor of matching it in C
but I don't care enough to go through the discussions.

My latest use case: `s/optnone//g` should not result in a verifier
error when you just want to try out an optimization on a single function.

> Paul - I think you're mostly thinking about/interested in the specific
> source level/end user use case that motivated the initial
> implementation of optnone. Where, I tend to agree - inlining an
> optnone function is not advantageous to the user. Though it's possible
> Johannes 's argument could be generalized from IR to C and still
> apply: orthogonal features are more powerful and the user can always
> compose them together to get what they want. (good chance they're
> using attributes behind macros for ease of use anyway - they're a bit
> verbose to write by hand all the time)

I'd give the user the capability building blocks and let them work
with that, but again, this is not my main concern right now.

> There's also the -O0 use of optnone these days (clang puts optnone on
> all functions when compiling with -O0 - the intent being to treat such
> functions as though they were compiled in a separate object file
> without optimizations (that's me projecting what I /think/ the mental
> model should be) - which, similarly, I think will probably want to
> keep the current behavior (no ipa/inlining and no optimization -
> however that's phrased).
>
> Essentially the high level use cases of optnone all look like "imagine
> if I compiled this in a separate object file without LTO" - apparently
> even noipa+optnone isn't enough for that, maybe (I need to test that
> more, based on a comment from Johannes earlier that inexact
> definitions don't stop the inliner... )? Sounds like maybe it's more
> like what I'm thinking of is "what if this function had weak linkage"
> (ie: could be replaced by a totally different one)?

Yes, weak should do the trick. That said, if you want "separate
object file without LTO", go with `noinline` + `noipa`. This will
make the call edges optimization barriers. If you want to also not
optimize the function, add `optnone` as required.

FWIW, if all functions are `optnone`, `noinline` and `noipa` are
not needed, that is the -O0 case. More specifically, if your caller
is `optnone`, `noinline` and `noipa` are not needed (for that caller).

~ Johannes