[llvm-dev] [RFC] Implementing the BHive methodology in llvm-exegesis

Mendis, Charith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 21 07:20:52 PDT 2021

Hi all,

This is an exciting development.

BHive code base now supports both x86-64 and ARM timing. It would be great if these developments are integrated into LLVM-exegesis in a more portable manner.

From the perspective of the compiler research community, this would enable us to use precise timing data inside LLVM IR passes if we want more precision than what TTI supports. We will not have to worry about segmentation faults when timing memory heavy basic blocks if BHive’s timing methodology is adopted. Further, this will also pave way to interesting new directions in developing new performance models that are tightly coupled with the LLVM infrastructure.

Therefore, I welcome and support this contribution by Ondrej and his colleagues in getting the BHive timing infrastructure embedded within the LLVM eco-system.

Best,
Charith.