[llvm-dev] clang-tidy makes review a pain

Nikita Popov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 19 03:06:03 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM Maxim Kazantsev via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> I started noticing that lately we’ve improved reporting from clang-tidy,
> pointing out at various formatting issues. However the more verbose it
> becomes, the more annoyed I feel about it. For example here:
>

> https://reviews.llvm.org/D100721
>

> It complains literally about every second line, inserting its comments
> straight into review. They take as much space as the actual code. Maybe
> it’s just me, but it’s really hard to me to understand what the patch is
> actually doing with so many inlined auto-generated comments. Maybe there is
> a button to hide them somewhere, but I failed to find it.
>

> I understand what was the intention, and clang-tidy is a cool thing in
> general, but it’s getting too intrusive. Does anyone else have the same
> problem as I do? If there’s a lot of people whom it annoys, maybe we should
> think how to make it less invasive. Maybe it should put these comment when
> the patch gets approved, or something like this.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Max

I feel the same way about both the clang-tidy and clang-format annotations.
They *are* useful, but mainly for the author of the code, not the
reviewers. It would be great if clang-tidy/clang-format violations could be
communicated out-of-line only.

Regards,
Nikita