[llvm-dev] Revisiting/refining the definition of optnone with interprocedural transformations

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 18 22:30:06 PDT 2021

On 4/18/21 10:51 PM, David Blaikie wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 8:29 PM Johannes Doerfert <
> johannesdoerfert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm very much in favor of `noipa`. It comes up every few months
>> and it would be widely useful.
>
> Out of curiosity, what sort of uses do you have in mind for it?

Most times people basically want `noinline` to also mean "no
interprocedural optimization", but without `optnone`. So, your
function is optimized but actually called and the call result
is used, no constants are propagated etc.

Example:

```
__attribute__((noipa))
void foo() { return 1 + 2; }
void bar() { return foo(); }
```
should become

```
__attribute__((noipa))
void foo() { return 3; }
void bar() { return foo(); }
```
which it does not right now.

>> I'd expose it via Clang and -O0 could
>> set it as well (for the LTO case).
>>
>> When it comes to inexact definitions, optnone functions, and existing
>> attributes,
>> I'd be in favor of 1) always allowing the use of existing attributes,
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this ^ - could you rephrase/elaborate?
>

>> and 2) not deriving new ones for an inexact or optnone definition.
>>
> Also this ^ I'm similarly confused/unclear about.

So if you have a call of F, and F has attribute A, we can use
that fact at the call site, regardless of the definition of F.
F could be `optnone` or with non-exact linkage, but the information
attached to it is still usable.

If we go for the above we can never derive/attach information
for a non-exact linkage definitions. That way we prevent IPO from
using information that might be invalid if the definition is replaced.

It is all about where you disturb the ipo deduction in this case, I think
it is more beneficial to not attach new things but an argument could be
made to allow that but no propagation. Both have benefits, its' not 100%
clear what is more desirable at the end of the day.

>> This is how the Attributor determines if it a function level attribute
>> could
>> be derived or if we should only stick with the existing information:
>>
>>       /// Determine whether the function \p F is IPO amendable
>>       ///
>>       /// If a function is exactly defined or it has alwaysinline attribute
>>       /// and is viable to be inlined, we say it is IPO amendable
>>       bool isFunctionIPOAmendable(const Function &F) {
>>         return F.hasExactDefinition() ||
>> InfoCache.InlineableFunctions.count(&F);
>>       }
>>
>> So, if the above check doesn't hold we will not add new attributes but
>> we will
>> still use existing ones. This seems to me the right way to allow
>> users/frontends
>> to provide information selectively.
>>
> Yep, that sounds right to me (if you put attributes on an optnone/noipa
> function, they should be usable/used - but none should be discovered/added
> later by inspection of the implementation of such a function) - currently
> doesn't seem to be the case for the (old pass manager?) FunctionAttrs pass,
> so I have to figure some things out there.

That is what I tried to say above, I think.

In the end, I want to know that foo does not access memory but
bar could for all we know:

```
__attribute__((pure, optnone))         // or non-exact linkage
void pure_optnone() { /* empty */ }

__attribute__((optnone))               // or non-exact linkage
void optnone() { /* empty */ }

void foo() { pure_optnone(); }

void bar() { optnone(); }
```