[llvm-dev] Is clang genned debuginfo really that huge

pawel k. via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 16 12:00:37 PDT 2021

Hello,
Yea i mean i know its large but some manage to make it even larger in other
projects like golang.

If that helps anyone id think of it as kind of db design kind of problem.
My understanding is debug standard was being created more or less ad hoc
and later as documentation of code. For example whole db being in major
order split by compilation units.

As of on efficiency of storage id probably think of making it as much as
possible shared in common sections, making the rest as compact as possible
but minding access from debugger use cases and possibly topping it with
some db style indices.

Id think pdb ms format could ne treated as gold standard. It seems to be
ultra efficient both for storage and accesses from debugger.

Best regards,
Pawel Kunio